Wednesday, December 2, 2009

One step forward two steps back

On Friday, November 20,2009, we had another appointment with our perinatologist and a pediatric cardiologist. We had a lot of anxiety before these appointments because with Dandy Walker other abnormalities are likely.
Our first appointment was with our perinatologist. We had another ultrasound done when we got there. Baby Tommy does not like having ultrasounds done. He kicks and squirms the whole time. But during our last ultrasound he gave us a thumbs up and we were able to get a picture of it. He made our day!!
After the ultrasound we expected to see the doctor but he was not in the office. The sonographer told us that he would just see us next time.
That afternoon we went to the pediatric cardiologist. The doctor was in the ultrasound room with us the whole time so he was able to ask of millions of questions during the fetal echo. He told us that everything looked good and that he did not see any "major" problems with his heart. He also told us that once he was born there could be some small problems but if there were he would most likely not need surgery. Finally we had some good news!!! We could finally breathe!
Two hours later I got a phone call from the perinatologist. I knew it couldn't be good. He told me that all of Tommy's measurements were normal expect his head size. I was 29 weeks pregnant and his head was measuring 32 weeks. So much for being able to breathe.
He continued to tell me that they would probably do another amnio to check fetal lung maturity in case they needed to deliver early. He then told me that he thinks that Tommy is developing Hydrocephalus. Which means he will probably have to have a shunt put in soon after he is born.
Once again I feel helpless. I hate the our baby boy is going to have to go through this. I wish I could take all of this away from him and any pain that he will have to go through. We are constantly praying for God to heal our baby. I sure hope he is listening.

1 comment:

  1. I also continue to pray that God will heal our precious baby Tommy. This baby is going to be surrounded with so much love!!

    ReplyDelete